Side event: Lawyers Under Threat in OSCE Region. Tomorrow 25 September from 18.15-19.45 at the Warsaw National Stadium in the Plenary Hall.
(Lawyers for Lawyers Facebook, 24/09/19)
Defend the defenders of peoples' rights. Secure, encrypted email: firstname.lastname@example.org (end-to-end encryption)
September 24, 2019
UN human rights experts* have called upon China to immediately end harassment and surveillance of prominent human rights lawyer Jiang Tianyong.
Mr. Jiang was initially forcibly disappeared for a period and then sentenced in November 2017 to two years in prison for inciting subversion of State power. He was released in February this year.
“Despite his release, Mr. Jiang is not a free man. He remains under constant surveillance by the authorities and his movement is severely restricted. He continues to be punished, along with his family and friends, with harassment and intimidation by the authorities,” said the experts. They noted that while this is being done on the ground that he has been deprived of his political rights for three years, such treatment is both gratuitously punitive and legally unjustified.
The experts also expressed concern about Mr. Jiang’s lack of access to appropriate medical care, especially in view of his deteriorating health. “As a result of ill-treatment in prison, he reportedly suffers from high blood pressure, memory loss, poor vision, and swollen legs and feet which hinder his mobility. However, he has not been allowed to see a doctor of his own choice to seek appropriate medical care,” said the experts.
UN human rights experts had previously condemned Mr. Jiang’s conviction and expressed concern that his confession may have been coerced by the use of torture. They also raised concern that his enforced disappearance and conviction may have occurred, at least in part, in reprisal for his cooperation with the UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, Philip Alston, during his visit to China in August 2016. The Secretary-General has also noted allegations of continued reprisals against Mr. Jiang, in his latest report on reprisals against those who cooperate with the United Nations.
September 24, 2019
The law student who has accused former Union minister Swami Chinmayanand of rape was taken into custody on Tuesday, 24 September, on the charges of ‘extortion and blackmailing’.
After the 23-year-old, who studied in a law college in Shahjahanpur, accused the BJP leader of sexual harassment in a video clip, his lawyers had filed a case of extortion and threat against unidentified persons.
Chinmayanand’s lawyers had alleged that a WhatsApp message demanding Rs 5 crore was sent to Chinmayanand’s mobile phone. The message, they alleged, threatened to make some video clips viral if the amount was not paid.
The UP Police had earlier arrested three youths in this connection, they have now taken the survivor into custody as well. A local court in Shahjahanpur had rejected the bail pleas of the three youths on Monday.
An Uttar Pradesh court rejected Chinmayanand’s bail plea on Monday. He was arrested on Friday and sent to 14 days of judicial custody for alleged sexual harassment of the law student. He has been booked under sections 354 D (stalking), 342 (wrongful confinement) and 506 (criminal intimidation), and Section 376C ( sexual intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape) of the Indian Penal Code.
September 24, 2019
A LAWYER, who survived an ambush, said Monday, September 23, that she is receiving death threats anew.
Prosecutor Erfe del Castillo said she held a press conference to talk about the death threats she has been receiving.
The threats were the same with the ones she received prior to her ambush in December 2018 that caused the death of her partner at the Bacolod-Silay Airport Access Road.
Castillo said she received them through text messages that mentioned even the plate numbers of her car.
She said she has been silent for several months as the murder and frustrated murder charges are already in court.
However, as Castillo was gathering evidence against those involved in the plot to kill her, she said recent developments show that the same individuals who are after her are planning to make an attempt on her life again.
She said that last Saturday, September 21, she received a text message, which she completely ignored, although she later took at the message seriously after receiving a call from a reliable source that he learned of the plans to “liquidate” her.
Castillo said she suspects that the people involved are likely those who are now incarcerated or well-known drug personalities who are also in cahoots with individuals involved in the earlier ambush against her.
September 23, 2019
A woman lawyer beat a man with shoes outside a court here, according to a video of the incident that has gone viral on social media although the thrashing took place a month ago.
The lawyer, identified as Alia Rana Advocate, named the man she assaulted as the suspect in a first information report (FIR) after the incident occurred. However, after the video surfaced, the case was rescinded.
Consequently, the District Bar Association Faisalabad secretary, Shahid Munir, revoked the membership of the woman lawyer and her three accomplices.
Munir explained that Rana a month ago had attacked and beat with shoes a person from the other party in a case filed by her friend in the court premises and filed the FIR against him at the Kotwali Road police station.
Later, however, the incident was cleared up after the closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage emerged, the secretary added, noting that the bar revoked the licenses of Alia Rana and three of her accomplices.
Further investigation in the case was now being carried out by the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC), Munir said
September 24, 2019
The Punjab Bar Council strongly condemns the false and frivolous FIR lodged against Agha Tariq Mahmood Advocate Supreme of Pakistan, Rawalpindi. The Punjab Bar Council demands immediate withdrawal of this false and frivolous FIR. In condemnation of the aforesaid act and showing solidarity with the aggrieved bar member, the lawyers of the Rawalpindi Division will observe a full day strike on 24-09-2019. If the said FIR is not canceled by tomorrow the lawyers the of Punjab will leave no stone unturned to take action against the concerned.
Ch. Shah Nawaz Ismail Gujjar
Punjab Bar Council
Mr. Iftikhar Ibrahim Qureshi
Chairman Executive Committee
Punjab Bar Council.
(Punjab Bar Council Facebook, 23/09/19)
le 20 septembre, 2019
Son nom Maître Modibo Camara jeune avocat au barreau de Guinée. Il a été frontalement agressé ce vendredi par la garde de Cellou Dalein Diallo leader de l’UFDG, chef de file de l’opposition guinéenne. Son crime ? Récit
‘’J’étais venu retirer ma fille à l’école Tom Pouce (pub gratuite) mais il y avait déjà un embouteillage qui s’y était formé donc le chauffeur cherchait à bien garer afin que je puisse descendre. Soudainement un gros bras (garde-corps) du cortège de Cellou surgis pour lui intimer de faire vite les choses. Je sors ma tête pour lui demander pourquoi il crie, aussitôt il prend son talki-walkie pour me le jeter au visage’’ explique Modibo Camara
Comme il y a juste un commissariat à côté, poursuit-il, j’y suis allé. ‘’C’est entre-temps, j’aperçois le cortège avec Cellou à bord de son véhicule de commandement continuer leur chemin comme si de rien n’était’’ a-t-il ajouté
Au moment où nous publions cet article, Maître Modibo la victime entamait ses soins dans une clinique à Lambanyi (haute banlieue de Conakry). Nous y reviendrons
September 24, 2019
To protect civil liberties and people’s rights, top lawyers, law organizations and law students have convened for the revival of a legal initiative to protect the civil liberties and constitutional rights of the public against the Duterte administration.
“Not since the dark years of Martial Law have our civil liberties and fundamental rights have been threatened and blatantly violated with such brazen impunity,” read the statement of unity of the Concerned Lawyers for Civil Liberties (CLC).
CLC is broad network of lawyers and law students formed in 2006 during the height of protests against the policies of then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo such as emergency rule, Executive Order No. 464, the Calibrated Preemptive Response, extrajudicial killings and the NBN-ZTE deal.
Convenors include members of the Otso Diretso who ran in the May 2019 elections — namely, Neri Colmenares of the National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL), former Deputy Speaker Erin Tañada and Chel Diokno of the Free Legal Assistance Group (FLAG).
The group also includes Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) National President Domingo Egon Cayosa, Marlon Manuel of the Alternative Law Groups and Edre Olalia of NUPL.
Other key political figures included as convenors are former Vice President Jejomar Binay of Artikulo Tres and former Sen. Rene Saguisag of Mabini.
Legal luminaries and members of the academe are also among the convenors — Professor Pacifico Agabin of the University of the Philippines College of Law, former Dean of Ateneo School of Government Antonio Gabriel La Viña, Arpee Santiago of Ateneo HR Center, Dean Anna Maria D. Abad of the Adamson University College of Law and Dean Manuel Quibod of the Ateneo de Davao College of Law.
CLC has been responsible for several cases filed at the Supreme Court that questioned the policies of then-President Arroyo. It also became a resource witness for the 2006 International Fact-Finding Mission on attacks against lawyers, judges.
THA 002 / 0118 / OBS 015.2
Judicial harassment /
Restrictions on freedom of peaceful assembly
September 20, 2019
The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, a joint partnership of FIDH and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), has received new information and requests your urgent intervention in the following situation in Thailand.
The Observatory has been informed by reliable sources about the acquittal of Mr. Sirawit Seritiwat, Ms. Nattha Mahatthana, Ms. Chonticha Jaengrew, Mr. Karn Phongprapaphan, Mr. Sukrit Piansuwan, and human rights lawyer Mr. Anon Nampa for their involvement in a peaceful demonstration held on February 10, 2018 in Bangkok. All six were charged and prosecuted under Article 116 of the Thai Criminal Code (‘sedition’). They faced up to seven years in prison each (see background information).
According to the information received, on September 20, 2019, at approximately 10:30am, the Bangkok’s Criminal Court found all six defendants not guilty of the sedition charges. The court found that the demonstration was peaceful, there was no chaos, there was no use of weapons, and police had received prior notification of the protest.
The court appearance of a seventh defendant, Mr. Rangsiman Rome, was postponed until mid-2020 in consideration of the parliamentary schedule. Mr. Rangsiman was elected as a member of the House of Representatives in the March 24, 2019 polls.
The seven defendants were among a group of 50 protesters who were also charged with violating Article 12 of National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Order 3/2015, which banned political gatherings of more than four people. All charges with regard to this alleged violation were dropped following the repeal of Article 12 of NCPO Order 3/2015 on July 9, 2019.
The Observatory welcomes the acquittal of Mr. Sirawit Seritiwat, Ms. Nattha Mahatthana, Ms. Chonticha Jaengrew, Mr. Karn Phongprapaphan, Mr. Sukrit Piansuwan, and Mr. Anon Nampa, but recalls that the six should never have been prosecuted in the first place.
September 23, 2019
More than 500 people have been arrested across Egypt since demonstrations broke out in Cairo and other cities, a local rights group said Monday.
Hundreds of Egyptians took to the streets on Friday and Saturday in rare demonstrations calling for the departure of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
“The latest count of those arrested over the events of since Friday in Cairo and other provinces has risen to 516,” the Egyptian Centre for Economic and Social Rights said in a statement.
On Sunday, Egyptian authorities also detained an award-winning human rights lawyer after she attended judicial investigations into the arrests of protesters.
A judicial official said Mahienour el-Massry had been placed in pre-trial detention for 15 days on charges of “taking part with a terrorist group to achieve its goals and publishing false news”.
Massry, a political activist and human rights defender, has been tried and jailed twice for taking part herself in demonstrations.
Egypt effectively banned protests under a law passed following Islamist president Mohamed Morsi’s 2013 ouster by the army.
القرار بعد التحقيق مع ماهينور: حبسها لاستكمال التحقيقات في القضية ٤٨٨ لسنة ٢٠١٩ أمن دولة، وهي المعروفة إعلاميا بقضية “الزمامير”، حيث دعى البعض للنزول في الشوارع واستخدام الزمامير كشكل للمعارضة.
تم توجيه اتهامات: مشاركة جماعة محظورة ومساعدتها على تحقيق اغراضها و نشر أخبار كاذبة لترويع الرأي العام.
والجدير بالذكر أن ماهينور بالفعل ليس لها أية علاقة بهذه الدعوات
نطالب بالافراج الفوري عن ماهينور التي تم القبض عليها فقط لتأدية عملها كمحامية
State Security Prosecution decides to imprison Mahienour pending a court case known in the media as “Beeps case”, where some people called for using beeping in the streets as a way of protest.
Mahienour is accused of taking part with and helping an illegal group achieve their goals, and spreading false news to terrify the public.
It is worth mentioning that Mahienour has NOTHING to do with these calls.
We call for immediate release of Mahienour, who has only been arrested for doing her work as a lawyer.
(الحرية لماهينور – Free Mahienour Facebook 23/09/19)