Daily Archives: 04/11/2018

India: HC clears advocate of Maoist tag

November 3, 2018

advocate-murugan

The Madras High Court on Friday discharged advocate Murugan from a case booked against him by Q branch – Criminal Investigation Department (CID) last year on charges of being a member of the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist). The court held that there were no substantial material to implicate the advocate in the case but for a reported confession statement made by another accused. Justice M.V. Muralidaran pointed out that the confession only states that the advocate had handed over a portable DVD player, tape recorder, modem, some pamphlets and booklets of the banned organisation to the prime accused Srinivasan at Mattuthavani bus stand in Madurai on August 7, 2016. The further allegation against the petitioner was he provided financial aid to one ‘Nondi’ Mahalingam of the organisation.

“At this juncture, it is apposite to mention that the petitioner is a practising advocate and he was appearing for Maoists. Appearing for a Maoist is not a crime. On the other hand, if a Maoist accused of an offence seeks the professional assistance of a lawyer, it is his duty to defend. Therefore, as rightly submitted by the learned counsel for the petitioner, with an ulterior motive to prevent the petitioner from defending the innocent Maoists, he has been implicated in this case,” the judge concluded.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/hc-clears-advocate-of-maoist-tag/article25407274.ece

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/tamil-nadu/2018/nov/03/giving-legal-aid-to-maoists-not-crime-madras-hc-1893623.html

https://www.nyoooz.com/news/chennai/1247885/defending-a-maoist-in-court-not-a-crime-hc/

https://countercurrents.org/2017/08/17/the-ridiculous-case-of-advocate-murugan/

http://www.livelaw.in/appearing-for-maoists-not-a-crime-lawyer-has-a-duty-to-defend-if-a-maoist-seeks-his-professional-assistance-madras-hc-read-order/?fbclid=IwAR09JUFjKKmeREO3LVBNVo-aokCp8YhJ9fZHCvRGmIAdMI3wV3knZzp38Kg

https://barandbench.com/appearing-maoist-not-crime-madras-hc/

Advertisements

The Philippines: Lawyer faces raps for taking custody of massacre witness

November 3, 2018

A lawyer of human rights group Karapatan has been charged with kidnapping and serious illegal detention for allegedly taking custody of a witness in the massacre in Sagay, Negros Occidental.

The father of the 14-year-old witness filed the charges against Katherine Panguban, according to Chief Inspector Robert Mansueto, Sagay police chief.

The man sought police assistance on Oct. 30, claiming his son has  been missing since Oct. 27.

The mother of the witness was reportedly accompanied by lawyers and representatives of various militant groups when the boy was taken from the custody of the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

Mansueto said the man received a call from his wife claiming they were under tight watch in the area where they were brought.

Panguban had earlier denied the allegations, saying the mother of the witness sought their assistance for the release of their son from government custody.

She added that the witness and his mother have raised fears about their safety and are now in Manila.

https://www.philstar.com/nation/2018/11/03/1865342/lawyer-faces-raps-taking-custody-massacre-witness

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/11/04/1865812/kidnapping-raps-vs-lawyer-sagay-9-witnesss-mother-baseless-karapatan-says

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/11/01/lawyer-charged-over-missing-witness-to-sagay-massacre/

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1049415/nupl-slams-charges-filed-by-father-of-sagay-massacre-child-witness

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/11/05/philippines-independently-probe-police-hitmen?fbclid=IwAR3-dGAXWz3tpKbrh4lwpMilr4SfC3Yl4zQz4oY4yQxrfs-7FNcuio9ARQk

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1772499/Bacolod/Local-News/NUPL-Karapatan-slam-kidnapping-raps-vs-lawyer

https://rmn.ph/amay-sa-witness-sa-sagay-massacre-ginpablotter-ang-abogada-sang-karapatan-sa-kaso-nga-kidnapping/ (TAGALOG)

Turkey: Turkey issues arrest warrants for 50 FETO suspects

November 2, 2018

Suspects allegedly use ByLock, an encrypted cellphone application used by FETO coup-plotters

Turkey issues arrest warrants for 50 FETO suspects

Arrest warrants were issued Friday for 50 people for their suspected links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), the group behind July 2016 defeated coup in Turkey.

The Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office in Istanbul issued arrest warrants for the suspects who allegedly used ByLock, an encrypted cellphone application used by coup-plotters.

Teachers and lawyers were among the suspects sought with warrants.

So far, twenty-seven suspects were arrested in simultaneous counter-terror operations across nine provinces.

Turkish police continue operations to nab the others suspects.

According to the Turkish government, the FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 251 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/todays-headlines/turkey-issues-arrest-warrants-for-50-feto-suspects/1300616

https://arrestedlawyers.org/

https://stockholmcf.org/turkish-govt-issues-detention-warrants-for-149-people-over-alleged-links-to-gulen-movement/

https://turkeypurge.com/purge-in-numbers-2

https://turkeypurge.com/

#DayoftheEndangeredLawyer