January 29, 2018
The Arrested Lawyers initiative published a report as to the relentless crackdown against Turkish lawyers and the right to defence in Turkey. To read and download to report click here
According to the report, as of 25 January 2018;
- 1506 lawyers have been prosecuted, 572 lawyers have been arrested 80 of whom have been sentenced to long imprisonment,
80 lawyers have been sentenced to long imprisonment;
- Konya 6th High Penal Court sentenced Fevzi Kayacan who is former president of Konya Bar Association and 19 other lawyers to imprisonment for up to 14 years.
- Erzincan 2nd High Penal Court sentenced lawyers Cemalettin Ozer, former president of Erzincan Bar Association, and Talip Nayir, a former board member of the same organisation, to 8 years 9 month and 10 years in prison respectively.
- Erzurum 2nd High Penal Court have given Mehmet Güzel, former president of Erzurum Bar Association, and four other lawyers prison term varying from 1 to 13 years,
- Eskisehir 2nd High Penal Court have sentenced 11 lawyers between 4 and 12 years,
- Sivas 2nd High Penal Court have sentenced nine lawyers between 3 and 9 years,
- Adana 11th High Penal Court have sentenced eight lawyers between 3 and 9 years.
- Different courts in Istanbul, Bolu, Antalya, Kocaeli, Nigde, Kirsehir, Kayseri, Izmir have also given fellow Turkish lawyers long prison sentence to fellow lawyers.
The report says, under the state of emergency rule, serious interventions has been made to the right to defence: